College App Kickoff for Juniors & Families
Does your family include an 11th grade student? If so, how are you all feeling about the upcoming college app process? Are you looking ahead at the second half of junior year (and the college process) and wondering what would be helpful to think about?
I've custom-designed an evening presentation (1.5 hours) for 11th grade students and their families, and will be offering two sessions on Tuesday, February 6, 2024: one at 7 PM US Eastern time and one at 7 PM US Pacific time.
*Registration also includes a free one-hour pre-workshop Zoom consultation for each family individually.*
Topics we'll discuss include:
- the state of the current college admissions landscape, including recent and emerging issues (artificial intelligence, affirmative action, standardized testing)
- a general overview of the financial aid process
- useful resources for discerning which colleges are a good fit including new, research-based methods of ranking schools and sorting for quality
- an in-depth review of how admissions committees evaluate applications, and a framework for how this can inform application prep
- mindset suggestions for senior year course selection
- advice for thinking about requesting letters of recommendation
- discernment of priorities and preferences in the college search process
- best practices for personal organizational structures (calendar, folders, spreadsheet)
- methods for exploring and clarifying academic and intellectual interests
- exercises to practice personal reflective writing for college essays
- tried-and-true ideas for a smooth, calm, successful junior spring, senior summer, and senior fall